June 17, 2011

What's on your nightstand?

A few weeks ago Chef Matt shared some of his 'go to' cookbooks.  Today my dear friend Anne shared a snapshot of her nightstand stacked with books she is reading, an interesting and eclectic mix:



History of Love by Nicole Krauss


1. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

I just finished that one myself, think of it as magical realism gone shtetl. The book is quite sad, actually heartbreaking at times, but beautifully written. 





The Girl Who Played with Fire by Steig Larsson


2. The Girl Who Played With Fire by Steig Larsson

Aw, a Nordic murder mystery.  Anne, I admit, that one was a surprise! And how cool is the name Steig?





Manhattan Transfer by John dos Passos

3. Manhattan Transfer by John dos Passos. 

Anne has been residing in heart of NYC for a few years now so it's fitting that she is reading this book described as "expressionist picture of New York" (New York Times).  I've added it to my GoodReads list!





baby books

4. Another baby book

Every expectant parent, it seems, receives volumes from well-meaning friends on baby rearing.  Anne is brushing up on sleep habits basics. 


Sudoku

5. Book of Sudoku Puzzles

Anne has always been a crossword lover.  Despite its exotic Japanese name, turns out Sudoku was first devised by a Swiss mathematician in 18th century and then popularized in late 1970s by a puzzle magazine publisher. 





Come to think of it, I quite like having a peek at what books are stacked on freinds' nightstands.  So send me a snapshot of yours!

2 comments:

  1. I love book #4. I am currently playing around on Facebook and not rocking/nursing/driving around with Charlotte thanks to book #4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Anne, I have half of on my nightstand, too. Guess which half.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...